This page is intended to share information about employment opportunities in our region related to flooding, dam safety, emergency management, resiliency, etc. If you have an employment opportunity you would like VFMA to share, please let us know!
Floodplain Program Planner – Closes September 17, 2019
Virginia Department of Conservation & Recreation – Richmond, VA
Hiring Range: $60,000 – $70,000
The individual in this position is responsible for providing technical assistance to local governments for developing, updating, and implementing the flood protection plan for the Commonwealth as mandated in Chapter 6 of Title 10.1 of the Code of Virginia. The Floodplain Program Planner also Implements floodplain management initiatives in accordance with program and division goals to ensure that state and federal mandates and local floodplain needs are met. Meeting program and division goals includes conducting local program reviews, providing prompt complaint responses to officials and citizens, assisting the Virginia Department of Emergency Management in flood hazard mitigation planning efforts and disaster responses, and tracking program accomplishments. https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/jobs?j=2019-09-03-10-24-01-690395-ae1
Floodplain Specialist (EHP Cadre) – Open Until Filled
Federal Emergency Management Agency – multiple locations
Part of FEMA’s Cadre of On-call Response/Recovery Employee (CORE) Program
Hiring Range: $62,236 – $80,912
Job duties include:
- Review and implement Executive Orders 11988: Wetlands (through the 8-step review process); all applicable environmental and historic preservation laws, regulations, additional executive orders, and policy for FEMA funded activities.
- Prepares National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) documents based on the applicable level of review.
- Serves as a technical specialist on floodplains and wetlands, providing advice and assistance to FEMA program staff, state emergency management staff, Tribal, local governments, and eligible private non-profit groups.
- Performs technical project monitoring and evaluations to meet environmental and historic preservation responsibilities.
- Analyze and apply a wide range of scientific and technical environmental compliance reviews; specifically, Executive Orders 11988: Floodplains and 11900: Wetlands.
Water Resources Engineer – Open Until Filled
Bridge & Stream Engineering, Inc.
Hiring Range: Determined by experience
The job duties for this position would involve:
- Hydrologic analysis of many diverse flood, climatic, and meteorological conditions across the United States.
- Open channel hydraulic analysis using steady and unsteady modeling.
- Hydraulic design of drainage structures.
- Preparation of design plans using drafting software and drainage reports.
- Coordination with clients and regulatory agencies.
- Short-term travel to complete field work involving surveying tasks.
Regional Dam Safety Engineer – Open Until Filled
Virginia Department of Conservation & Recreation – Christiansburg, VA
Hiring Range: $75,000 – $85,000
The Regional Dam Engineer will be responsible for but not limited to conducting safety inspections in accordance with the Code of Virginia; ensuring dam owner operation and maintenance certificates and permits for regulated dams are issued; ensuring fees are collected prior to certification or permit issuance; and ensuring permitted work is monitored in accordance with Code of Virginia. This position will also be responsible for ensuring all required technical documents are accurate and acceptable according to regulations; ensuring emergency action preparedness plans are developed according to regulations; and compiling electronic/hard copy files for the maintenance of inventory records of impounding structures as well as maintains information for weekly reports. The incumbent of this position will also provide/present training to the public as needed related to dam safety program topics; and provide customer service in person by phone/email/written correspondence to dam owners, government officials, and agency team members as necessary.