This page is intended to share information about employment opportunities in our region related to flooding, dam safety, emergency management, resiliency, etc. If you have an employment opportunity you would like VFMA to share, please let us know!
Principal Planner – Closes 04/23/2021 at 4:30PM
City of Poquoson, Virginia
Starting Salary: $47,594.00
Description: Performs intermediate professional work developing or assisting with the development of current, long-range, transportation, and/or other planning activities, assisting and providing information to the public, serving as staff support to various boards and commissions, preparing and maintaining various files and records, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the moderate supervision of the Director of Community Development.
Key Responsibilities: Assists citizens with the land use permit/rezoning process; provides ordinance and comprehensive plan interpretations. Reviews and coordinates reviews of the land use applications, comprehensive plan and ordinance amendments for review by the Planning Commission and the City Council.
- Processes and presents technical reports in the areas of land use, environmental economic impact and land development.
- Reviews site plans and plats for conformance with the City and State ordinances and regulations.
- Reviews local ordinances to verify consistency and intent; recommends updates as needed; researches other local government ordinances to benchmark how land use issues are handled.
- Serves as staff liaison to various boards and commissions including the Planning Commission, City Council and the Architectural Review Board.
- Conducts research and prepares statistical reports on land use, physical, social, and economic issues. Represents the City at regional planning organizational meetings.
Qualifications | Preferred Skills: Thorough knowledge of land development and zoning activities and their relation to planning; thorough knowledge of zoning and code enforcement practices; ability to read and interpret blueprints, site plans and architectural designs; ability to gather and interpret technical and statistical information and prepare technical reports; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City officials, contractors, architects, land developers, associates and the general public.
Bachelor’s degree with coursework in urban planning, regional planning, geography, or related field and moderate experience in municipal planning, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Additional Comments: The City of Poquoson is seeking a full time Principal Planner. In order to become more familiar with the City of Poquoson, the interested applicant should view the “Poquoson is the Place” video found at https://vimeo.com/41927814. All applications for this position must be submitted to the City Manager’s Office, 500 City Hall Ave., Poquoson, VA, Ste. 234 by 4:30 pm on April 23, 2021. EOE
Water Resources Engineer – Open Until Filled
Bridge & Stream Engineering, Inc.
Hiring Range: Determined by experience
The job duties for this position would involve:
- Hydrologic analysis of many diverse flood, climatic, and meteorological conditions across the United States.
- Open channel hydraulic analysis using steady and unsteady modeling.
- Hydraulic design of drainage structures.
- Preparation of design plans using drafting software and drainage reports.
- Coordination with clients and regulatory agencies.
- Short-term travel to complete field work involving surveying tasks.
VFMA Job Posting Form
Have a floodplain management related job opening? Use the form below to post your job opportunity on the VFMA website.